Thursday, July 9, 2009

...I'm Walking into Interwebs, So Leave a Message and I'll Call You Back...

"Communication Breakdown" occasionally plays in my head when I wake up to see how much content has gathered in my inbox while I slept.

Sometimes I forget I'm not your average Web user. I'm connected about 90% of my waking day. Most of my work is done on computer (or The Pute, as I affectionately call it), as is most of my play. You're reading a fairly obscure (but growing!) blog, so I guess you're not the average Web user either.

I'm glad we found each other, and I also sort of wonder how we did.

Let's share our favorite tools for navigating this World Wide Web. I'll go first:

3. I love iGoogle, which allows RSS feeds of all of my favorite blogs to load right to my home page. Any time I click back to Google to, well, Google something, I end up reading a post, adding a comment, and learning something.

2. I love M-W's Word-of-the-Day email. It takes me about 7 seconds to read and delete, and I learn new words as well as the actual meaning of words I've been using incorrectly for years.

Today's word is "inexorable," meaning not to be persuaded, moved, or stopped; relentless.

That's how I'm feeling about my novel right now, inexorable.

It's funny how on my first edit, I'm all: This blows.

Second edit: All right, I guess it's not that bad.

Third edit: Who wrote this?

1. And last, but not least, the Twitter. People who tweet are my people, or my tweople, as it is. Twitterers are early adopters, they thrive on new information and technology, they aren't intrusive, they can say their piece and move on.

Twitter has lead me to so much fun stuff, like this flow chart of Sarah Dessen love interests, turned me on to news before the news even knew about it, and introduced me to True Blood, my current obsession.

So tell me, what Web apps do you depend on? Share the most useful tools in the comments so I can download and enjoy.

1 comment:

  1. First off, thanks for the word of the day link. I had no idea, but I signed up. Lately, I dont have much time for my social networking but I do still love my good old email and blog dashboard. ;)

    ReplyDelete