Wednesday, July 1, 2009

"I'm afraid you have a brain cloud, Joe."

If you stared at this image long enough, you read my novel--sort of.

Wordle is a nifty site where users can create word clouds from blocks of text. Words that appear more often in the text are bigger. So, you writers who are afraid you use "was" or "two" too much, you can use Wordle to get a picture of the words you use the most.

Apparently, I use "like" a lot--more than my main character's name even. I'll be de-like-afying my ms in the coming days. I removed some of my other characters' names from my word cloud--one in particular--because his name was huge. To rectify that, I'll be adding more scenes with other characters to balance things out.

That's Wordle in action: letting you know where to pare down and where to biggify (to use the parlance of one of my favorite blogs).

So head over to Wordle and build a word cloud. Then, copy the code of your creation into the comments section. I'd love to see what's on your mind.

1 comment:

  1. Glad I'm not the only one with crazy word addictions. I used the Wordle before my two addiction began... I'll have to see what it comes up with now!

    ReplyDelete