Monday, January 11, 2010

How to Read 20 Books for Free

I hope you've been surfing through January, keeping those resolutions in check, reading some books, writing some words.

January is a busy time for the booknapper. It's when she puts her haus in order--not her actual house, which seems orderless, but actually runs on an irregular routine that only she understands. I am paying bills (and organizing the post-Christmas evidence of a pre-Christmas spending spree). I'm revising my goals, my budget, and all of my ideas regarding the universe.

Next: that dastardly TBR pile--my, how we've grown in 2009.

My 2010 goals are based on the work/life blend principle, or "worlindiple" (wer-lyn-dipple), my made-up philosophy in which I attempt to feed two birds with one worm.

Goal #1: No buying books, movies, or CDs until I demolish the TBR pile.

I know. I know. It's going to be tough, but it's also going to be cheap and rewarding. You know what helps when you're doing something tough?

Having someone do it with you.

So who's in? Anyone else want to put a moratorium on pop culture spending until his or her TBR pile is no more? Make it public in the comments.

4 comments:

  1. I have committed to tackling more reading this year. Craft books are the top of my list. Right now I'm reading Fire in Fiction by Donald Maas!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Marie! I'm hosting a very unofficial challenge called Clear Off Your Shelves. It's pushing me to pick up the books I've never gotten around to. Count me in!

    ReplyDelete
  3. I tried that resolution, but it didn't last long. I bought two books last week.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Tamika, I have so many craft books. I read one chapter and get so fired up I start writing and never finish any of them. I'm in the middle of a Maas book too: Writing the Breakout Novel.

    Caroline, Sometimes I feel anxiety about all the books I want to read. I start thinking, Which should I read first?, and I freak out. This challenge might help my sanity!

    Patti, I'm pretty sure I can stick with it until I run out of fiction. When that happens, I'm giving myself freedom to use the B&N gift card I got for Christmas.

    That is... if I ever finish Jellicoe Road--Great book, but it got lost in the Christmas shuffle and now I'm finding it hard to get back into it.

    ReplyDelete