Thursday, April 23, 2009

From: Walden

"No way of thinking or doing, however ancient, can be trusted without proof. What everybody echoes or in silence passes by as true to-day may turn out to be falsehood to-morrow, mere smoke of opinion, which some had trusted for a cloud that would sprinkle fertilizing rain on their fields. What old people say you cannot do, you try and find that you can. Old deeds for old people, and new deeds for new."

Walden
Henry David Thoreau


When other kids were saying, I wish I was born in the 60s or 70s, I was all, I'd like to live in the transcendental period. Lately, I've been meaning to re-read Walden, but never got around to it until I stumbled upon DailyLit.

Go register and choose a book (you can pay for something new or choose something free from the public domain). They send you a page or two every day via email or RSS feed. I love my morning dose of transcendentalism.

What time do you dream of visiting?

1 comment:

  1. Great post! And I'm with you... I was always annoyed that I couldn't be a Transcendentalist.

    ReplyDelete