Thursday, June 10, 2010

Why Being Told You Suck is a Good Thing

Let me tell you something true about me:

I HATE disappointing people. Yet, sometimes at work, I screw up. People come down hard on me, but no one comes down on me harder than I do. Because I hate to hear people point out things I did wrong--especially when they are choices I stopped and questioned, and then did anyway.

Maybe that's why this section of The Last Lecture by Randy Pausch is loitering in my mind:

"Coach Graham rode you pretty hard, didn't he?" he said.

I could barely muster a "yeah."

"That's a good thing," the assistant told me.

"When you're screwing up and nobody says anything to you anymore, that means they've given up on you."

...

You may not want to hear it, but your critics are often the ones telling you they still love you and care about you and want to make you better.

Remember, bloggees. People tell you your writing sucks because they believe you have the potential to do better. Prove 'em right.

8 comments:

  1. Wow. That's an incredible insight. It's true that people give up on anyone who seems a helpless cause but push those they know can make it. I'm going to think about that a lot. Thank you!

    ReplyDelete
  2. So so true!!!! The opposite of love isn't hate, it's indifference...

    ReplyDelete
  3. Ps....saw that you're reading Are You There God, It's Me Margaret....my absolute favorite from when I was a kid!!!

    ReplyDelete
  4. You suck! Which means I love you. And actually, you don't suck. You're pretty darn brilliant. This post proves that.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hey everyone,

    Thanks for all the comments!

    I am listening to this book in my car, and I love all the great insights.

    ReplyDelete
  6. You are past sucking, Marie. I'm pretty sure anyone who tells you that you suck is just jealous (especially if that someone is at work... ahem).

    But I totally agree. I love genuine criticism, it's the only way we can get better.

    ReplyDelete
  7. I always love hearing this message and I need it, over and over!

    Really nice to meet you - had to follow the link through Natalie's page when I saw the word "Mockingjay" :) I just bought it on audiobook so I can listen during my tiring commute through Los Angeles traffic.

    ReplyDelete