Monday, June 14, 2010

Reunited: It should feel good.

"Don't edit your soul according to fashion."

Franz Kafka


I recently taught one of my friends a secret trick I learned a long time ago from a magazine. When you feel like a giant failure (my friend is particularly vulnerable to people who make her feel this way), imagine yourself when you were 10 years old. Envision 10-year-old you meeting now-you. What does she think of you? Would she want to grow up to be like you?

That's how you measure success.

9 comments:

  1. I've known you how long, and you never mentioned this to me?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I believe you also said, "Would she be proud of you?" I thought that was important.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Of course, in today's online world, another measure of success is that YOU HAVE 100 FOLLOWERS! Congrats, Marie.

    And how are you feeling these days? Morning sickness worn off yet?

    ReplyDelete
  4. I just did this exercise, and it is a confidence booster! I'm glad I stopped by.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ooo, great advice! My 10 year old self was crazy awkward. I'm pretty sure she'd be thrilled to grow up to be me.

    ReplyDelete
  6. Nice way to look at it. The great thing is that only I can measure my own success, no one else. Lovely. Keep it up!

    www.a-pen-in-neverland.blogspot.com

    ReplyDelete
  7. Well, you HAD 100 followers. Don't know what happened there.

    My 10-year-old self would no doubt be awed by how many books I've read.

    ReplyDelete
  8. I'm pretty sure ten-year-old me would be like, "Seriously? You haven't had kids yet? What are you waiting for?"

    I'm not turning into my mother; apparently I WAS my mother.

    ReplyDelete
  9. This is pretty great advice. I think my ten-year-old self might be impressed with some things about me now, but also wonder where all the candy and fun was hidden in adult life:) great post.

    ReplyDelete