Tuesday, March 16, 2010

A Booknapping from the Depths of Despair

Hey bloggees, I didn't die, but I thought I might. I've been really sick--sicker than I've been in a long time. I thought I might never write again. Have you ever been so busy, so sick, so something, that you started to become blind to the light at the end of the tunnel? (I just typoed "The Light at the End of the Title." Children's book idea!)

I know I'm dramatic, but that's how my mind works, peeps. For a few days, I could not foresee a time in my life when I would ever have the strength or time to work, write, have a social life, or blog. I felt like I was so behind, I would never catch up. Then, I bit the bullet and called the doctor.

Long story short: I'm feeling better, more than better. Feeling like you may never write again does wonders for your motivation. I have washed the accumulated dirty laundry, both literal and figurative, and my betas have nudged me with a gentle but firm request for new pages. I am truly blessed, yo.

While I was gone, I hardly even read. That's how sick I was! But I did manage to catch a lovely turn of phrase here and there, and one in particular kept me going:

"Be as a bird perched on a frail branch that she feels bending beneath her, still she sings away all the same, knowing she has wings."

Victor Hugo

I am back bloggees, with a vengeance, and I feel the need to look back on my time in the trenches and offer a hand to the peeps who might be there right now, wondering if they will ever write again. So help a bloggee out, peeps. Have you been there? How did you escape the doldrums of your life and get back to being a doer?

5 comments:

  1. Throw yourself back into it!
    We missed you while you were out sick :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Ease back in. We don't want you to get overwhelmed again. We missed you too much. But glad you're feeling better.

    ReplyDelete
  3. All I really do is hold on, knowing that it will turn around sooner or later. It's been warm and sunny here so that helps! So does going home in the daylight after work!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I like to start small--say, by reading a few poems from one of my favorite books or some articles online. Usually, by the time I relize that I'm coming out of it, I'm already back in full swing. Glad you are feeling better. Venge away, dear!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Oh, Marie. So sorry to hear you've been ill. That's rotten. Glad you're back. That's a nice quote from Victor Hugo, too. Thanks.

    You may know that I was very ill for a long time. It took me a year and a half to feel like myself again. At first, I couldn't even SEE, let alone write. Kinda makes you put it all in perspective.

    What did I do, once I could see again? A little bit more each day. A little writing. A little reading. A little exercise. A few (very few) chores. And some days were two steps forward, one step back. But I never gave up and eventually I reached a point where I said, "Hey, I feel normal again."

    The weird thing about it: I was more relaxed while I was recuperating. I kinda miss that sense of utter peace and calm and acceptance. I could feel the difference in my neck and shoulders. Think about it. We're all too stressed out today. Too much responsibility, too many gadgets, too much multi-tasking, too much information. Having a serious illness makes you realize how utterly unimportant all that stuff is.

    My Brain on Books

    ReplyDelete