Friday, August 21, 2009

About: If I Stay

So I just finished an awesome YA novel called If I Stay.

Here's some context: I started it yesterday at 5:17 PM. It's now 7:45 AM. In other words: great writing, cool high-concept hook, emotional core like all get out.

Oh, and one more thing. The writer listens to Mark Twain. I nominate Gayle Forman as The Writer Most Likely to Use The Right Word, Not it's Second Cousin. Some perfectly chosen words in If I Stay: eviscerated, cauliflower (Thanks to Karen Amanda Hooper for pointing out the beauty of that one), implodes, and see inconvenient below.
"'You and Adam never struck me as a 'high-school' relationship,' Mom said making quote marks with her hands. 'It was nothing like the drunken roll in the back of some guy's Chevy that passed for a relationship when I was in high school. You guys seemed, still seem, in love, truly, deeply.' She sighed. 'But seventeen is an inconvenient time to be in love.'"
Gayle Forman

1 comment:

  1. Sigh. That book was too short, I wanted more! So glad you read it. Didn't you just love her parents? Good stuff. Good stuff.

    ReplyDelete